Telepsychiatry is the delivery of psychiatric services using interactive video conferencing that enables a psychiatrist or his associates at a distant location to provide treatment to the patient. This consultation will not be the same as direct patient/psychiatrist visit. Telepsychiatry will allow the patient to receive medical care without the need to visit the office and travel long distances.
The interactive electronic systems used in telepsychiatry-Skype- are known to incorporate network and software security protocols to protect the confidentiality of information and audio/visual data. These protocols include measures to safeguard the data and to aid in protecting against intentional or unintentional corruption. You can review the security features of Skype at http://www.skype.com/intl/en-us/security/detailed-security/. We may use the landline telephone for audio to enhance the security of the information being discussed.
During the telepsychiatry consultation:
- Details of the patient’s medical history, current medications, and results of medical tests will be discussed.
- Non-medical personnel may be present to assist in operating conferencing equipment, if needed.
- At times students may be present during the session. I will be informed about who is present in the office.
Potential Benefits of Telepsychiatry:
- Increased accessibility to psychiatric care
- Patient convenience
Potential Risks of Telepsychiatry:
As with any medical procedure, there may be potential risks associated with the use of telepsychiatry. These risks include, but may not be limited to:
- Information transmitted may not be sufficient (e.g., poor resolution) to allow for appropriate medical decision making by Dr. Kant or his associates.
- Dr. Kant or his associates may not be able to provide medical treatment to me using interactive electronic equipment nor provide for or arrange for emergency care that I may require.
- Delays in medical evaluation and treatment may occur due to deficiencies or failures of the equipment.
- Security protocols can fail causing a breach of privacy of my confidential medical information.
- A lack of access to all the information that might be available in a face to face visit but not in a telepsychiatry session may result in errors in medical judgment.
Alternatives to the use of telepsychiatry:
- Traditional face to face sessions in our office
- I understand that the laws that protect the privacy and confidentiality of medical information also apply to telepsychiatry.
- I understand that the Skype technology used by Dr. Kant or his associates is encrypted to prevent the unauthorized access to my private medical information.
- I have the right to withhold or withdraw my consent to the use of telepsychiatry during the course of my care at any time. I understand that my withdrawal of consent will not affect any future care or treatment.
- I understand that Dr. Kant or his associates has the right to withhold or withdraw consent for the use of telepsychiatry during the course of my care at any time.
- I understand that the all rules and regulations which apply to the practice of medicine in the state of Pennsylvania also apply to telepsychiatry.
- I will not record any telepsychiatry sessions without written consent from Dr. Kant or his associates. I understand that Dr. Kant or his associates will not record any of our telepsychiatry sessions without my written consent.
- I will inform Dr. Kant or his associates if any other person can hear or see any part of our session before the session begins. Dr. Kant or his associates will inform me if any other person can hear or see any part of our session before the session begins.
- I understand that I, not Dr. Kant or his associates, am responsible for the configuration of any electronic equipment used on my computer for telepsychiatry. I understand that it is my responsibility to ensure the proper functioning of all electronic equipment before my session begins.
- I understand that I must be a resident of the state of Pennsylvania or Ohio to be eligible for telepsychiatry services from Dr. Kant or his associates.
- I understand that my initial evaluation will not be done by telepsychiatry except in special circumstances under which I will be required to verify my identity to provider satisfaction before the evaluation.